Daigas Group Carbon Neutral Vision
Aiming to Become Carbon Neutral by 2050
The Daigas Group aims to become carbon neutral by 2050. We plan to reach the goal through decarbonization of our gas and electricity by introducing methanation* to generate gas with renewable energy and hydrogen and by increasing the share of renewables in its power generation portfolio. We also announced our "Carbon Neutral Vision" in January 2021 to show our efforts to achieve it.
- * Technology to generate methane using hydrogen and CO2
Vision for the Future
- *1 Including solar, wind, and biomass power projects, which are eligible for the feed-in tariff (FIT) scheme
- *2 Equivalent to one third of the CO2 emissions currently produced in our business and by our customers (33 million tons/year)
Our Energy Business in the Era of Carbon Neutrality
How to achieve carbon neutrality should be flexibly selected in light of progress in energy innovation and changes in social circumstances. We aim to achieve our carbon neutrality goal with a comprehensive approach throughout our supply chain including customers, taking into account future technological advances and economic rationality.
Role of City Gas in Achieving a Carbon-Neutral Society
Heat-based contributions to low carbonization/decarbonization
In the industrial sector that uses coal and oil for technological and economic reasons to generate high-temperature heat, we are promoting CO2 emissions reduction and carbon neutrality through the fuel conversion to natural gas and, in the future, carbon-neutral methane.
City Gas-based energy systems highly compatible with renewables
As renewables are subject to weather conditions, it is important to achieve the best mix between them and decentralized power sources such as CHP and fuel cells that can balance the intermittency of renewables. We are building virtual power plants (VPP) with decentralized power sources aggregated using digital technology to contribute to grid stabilization and further energy conservation.
Enhancing energy resilience
We are committed to contributing to energy resilience enhancement with diverse energy sources as a vital task. This serves as an energy security solution against the risk of increasing natural disasters resulting from climate change and the uncertainty over future technological development to achieve a carbon-neutral society. As one of the diverse energy sources, gas is expected to continue playing an important role.
Road Map to Carbon Neutrality
We aim to achieve our carbon neutrality goal through our ongoing initiatives including methanation R&D and renewable power generation capacity development and other activities as shown in the road map below.
Daigas Group's Efforts
While decarbonization technology is being developed, it is important to reduce CO2 emissions in order to minimize the cost required for achieving a carbon-neutral society using the technology, which would otherwise become considerably highly costly.
We strive to continue reducing CO2 emissions through energy-efficient equipment development and introduction to our customers, fuel conversion from coal to natural gas, and energy management using digital technology.
Becoming carbon neutral requires the reinforcement of power system while maximizing the use of renewable energy. In the meantime, given the trend of Japan’s declining population, it is necessary to use existing infrastructure for reducing social costs. These efforts will also ensure energy resilience as well as carbon neutrality.
In this scenario, methanation, a technology to generate gas using renewable energy and hydrogen, can play a key role as a solution to the above by efficiently making heat sources carbon-neutral in area energy networks using existing gas supplying facilities.
▼The figure can be scrolled horizontally.
As a general energy company, we are developing renewable energy power sources. So far, we have installed approximately 700 MW of such power sources including onshore wind, solar, and biomass in Japan and abroad.
As renewable energy development continues to increase its importance in achieving a carbon-neutral society, we are striving to boost renewable energy power generation capacity by building diverse power sources such as offshore wind and geothermal while expanding our business models.
Click for further information
Close Collaborations with Various Partners for Carbon Neutrality
We plan to work in industry-wide and cross-industry alliances and collaboration with the government offices for projects that requires support from relevant parties. Examples of those projects include large-scale carbon recycling, overseas supply chain development, and hydrogen utilization.
Promoting Carbon Recycling
■Exploring carbon recycling with energy business operators and our customers in an extensive range of indastries including steel and chemical.
■Studying specific measures for the efficient capturing of CO2, in collaboration with industrial players.
Building an Overseas Supply Chain
■Building a supply chain with the aim of generating carbon-neutral methane abroad for import to Japan.
■Creating alliances with plant manufacturers and trading companies. Collaborate with the government regarding system creation and other matters for imports from overseas.
Utilization of Hydrogen and Other Resources
■Promoting the utilization of carbon-neutral fuels such as hydrogen and ammonia at local networks, power plants, and our customers while proceeding with the novel hydrogen generation technology development project on which we are currently working.
■Acquiring technology development information and expanding partnership through consortiums.
- Sustainability of
the Daigas Group
- Values and Sustainability Promotion of the Daigas Group
- Daigas Group's Values Daigas Group Charter of Business Conduct and Management Policy Daigas Group Code of Business Conduct Sustainability Promotion System and Management Stakeholder Engagement Initiatives the Daigas Group Participates In Commendation from the Outside
- Sustainability Management and Value Creation Process
- Value Creation Process of the Daigas Group Long-Term Management Vision 2030 Medium-Term Management Plan 2023 Daigas Group Carbon Neutral Vision
- Actions on Materiality
Materiality of the Daigas Group
Materiality Review Cycle
Customer Health and Safety
(FY2021 Report) Energy / Emissions
(FY2021 Report) Local Communities
(FY2021 Report) Customer Privacy
(FY2021 Report) Supplier Assessment
(FY2021 Report) Training and Education
(FY2021 Report) Diversity and Equal Opportunity
(FY2021 Report) Economic Performance
(FY2021 Report) Creating Value for Customers
(Charter I) Contributing to the Sustainability of the Environment and Society
(Charter Ⅱ) Engaging with and Contributing to Society (Charter Ⅲ) Respecting Human Rights
(Charter IV) Complying with Laws and Regulations (Charter V) Providing Work Environment That Supports Employees’ Personal Growth (Charter VI)
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Governance Risk Management Compliance Messages from Outside Directors
- Value Chain and Sustainability
- Consideration for the Value Chain and Stakeholders Social Impact of Business Activities in Our Energy Value Chain and Our Efforts toward Sustainability
- Daigas Group's Efforts for SDGs
- Special Features: Co-create Value for a Sustainable Future - Daigas Group×Stakeholders Achieving a Low Carbon / Carbon Neutral Society Establishing Lifestyles and Businesses Adjusted to the New Normal Enhancing Resilience of Customers and Society Back Numbers of Special Features
- FY2021 Activities Report
- Creating Value for Customers (Charter I)
Charter I Index
Management for Creating Value for Customers
Safety and Security 1:
Procurement Stage Safety and Security 2:
Processing Stage Safety and Security 3:
Distribution Stage Safety and Security 4:
Consumption Stage Incorporating Customer Opinions Proposing New Value
- Contributing to the Sustainability of the Environment and Society (Charter Ⅱ)
- Charter Ⅱ Index Management toward Contributing to the Sustainability of the Environment and Society Environmental Management Environmental Management: Indicators, Targets and Results Actions for Climate Change: Recognition of and Action on Risks and Opportunities Actions for Climate Change: Method to Evaluate Effects of CO2 Emissions Reduction Actions for Climate Change: Working to Reduce CO2 Emissions in Business Activities Actions for Climate Change: Working to Reduce CO2 Emissions at Customer Sites Efforts in Resource Recycling Conserving Biodiversity Developing Environmental Technologies Addressing Environmental Risk Promotion of Green Purchasing Environmental Communication
- Engaging with and Contributing to Society (Charter Ⅲ)
- Charter Ⅲ Index Management of Engagement with and Contribution to Society Social Contribution Activities Corporate Volunteering Activities under the Small Light Campaign Activities for Promoting Communication with Society Activities at Osaka Gas' Foundations
- Respecting Human Rights (Charter IV)
- Charter IV Index Status of Management regarding Respect for Human Rights Human Rights Due Diligence Action on Human Rights
- Complying with Laws and Regulations (Charter V)
- Charter V Index Management for Complying with Laws and Regulations Compliance Promotion Efforts Efforts for Protection of Personal Information Information Security Consultations and Reports from Partner Companies
- Providing Work Environment That Supports Employees’ Personal Growth (Charter VI)
- Charter VI Index Status of Management to Support Employees' Personal Growth Employment Acceptance of Diversity Balancing Work and Family Human Resource Development and Rewards Communication Between Employees and Company Improving Occupational Health and Safety
- Reporting Guidance and Guidelines and ESG Data
- Reporting Guidelines